Macadoo of the Maury River
When Macadoo is just a colt, he challenges his father -- a huge Belgian stallion -- in order to protect his dam. From that moment on, Mac knows that his purpose in life is to help others. From surviving a kill auction to learning how to be a vaulting horse to giving therapeutic riding lessons, Mac is always patient and never loses hope in his mission to serve others -- and he finds the courage to "walk on" through even the most difficult circumstances. Told with insight and compassion from Macadoo’s point of view, this is a story that all horse lovers will cherish.
A sequel to Chancey of the Maury River, this heart-tugging story focuses on Macadoo -- the gentle giant of the Maury River Stables.
About the book: by Gigi Amateau | Middle-grade fiction, Ages 9 and up, Grade 4 and up | Candlewick Press, hardcover August 2013 | ISBN: 978-0-7636-3766-8 | $15.99
Ms. Yingling Reads: Nov. 14, 2013
“Lots of good details about how horses feel, as well as how they are bought, sold and trained.” Read full review. Ms. Yingling Reads.
“Contains touching lessons about fear, grief, separation, and illness, and it also reaffirms the importance of love, work, and soldiering on with gentle courage even when times are difficult … This book is a lovely tribute to life, with all its ups and downs. Middle readers (both boys and girls), horse lovers, and adults who appreciate good children's literature, will likely agree.”
School Library Journal: Oct. 1, 2013
“Macadoo's response to his struggles will resonate with readers, and this volume will likely find a ready audience among lovers of horse stories.”
Girl's Life: Aug. 68, 2013
“Macadoo of the Maury River is the tale of one incredible equine.” To read the full article, visit Girls Life.
- Author’s Note (PDF doc)
- Discussion Guide (PDF doc)
- Read a sample chapter. (PDF doc)
- Listen to J.D. Jackson reading from Macadoo of the Maury River.
- 10/10/2013 Featured Author at Teen '13, The Open Book
- 09/25/2013 Welcome Author Gigi Amateau, Write Despite blog
- 08/17/2013 Local Favorite Gigi Amateau Returns, Fountain Bookstore
- 06/04/2013 What's on Your Summer Reading List, Library Journal
- 05/06/2013 Great Contemporary Books for Horse Lovers, Mackin Books in Bloom